North Carolina Healthy Start Foundation
Development Manager (Part-time)
Position Available Immediately
April 11, 2013
The North Carolina Healthy Start Foundation, a statewide nonprofit located in Raleigh, was established in 1990 to "reduce infant death and illness and to improve the health of women and young children in North Carolina." The Foundation has contributed to the reduction of the state's infant mortality rate by 43 percent since its inception, as part of a broad-based coalition of private and public agencies. The agency has been nationally recognized numerous times for its statewide public education initiatives.
Priority program areas address: women's health, pregnancy and parenting and infant safe sleep. Each of these programs uses research-based strategies and focuses on prevention to address community centered priorities. Key strategies include: building the capacity of community-based organizations to improve the health of the women they serve, professional training and technical assistance, advising policymakers and promoting healthy behaviors and lifestyles for women of childbearing age.
The North Carolina Healthy Start Foundation is seeking an experienced development professional capable of creating and implementing the agency's development plan. This is a newly created, part-time position (not to exceed 30 hours a week), with flexibility and an immediate start date.
This position will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the Board of Directors and the Fund Development Committee to ensure that the agency and its programs have viable fundraising plans and adequate resources. Development of a strategic fundraising plan will include the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual, corporate and foundation gifts, as well as other sources of revenue.
The Foundation seeks to exceed a challenge made by a current funder to raise a minimum of $250,000 in each of 2013 and 2014, in order to receive critical matching grants in 2014 and 2015.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Creation of a strategic development plan and case for support
- Identification of new and relevant foundation grant opportunities and consultation with staff during grant writing process
- Identification and solicitation of corporate partners
- Design and implementation of an on-going, individual donor campaign including:
- Identification and personal solicitation of individual donor prospects, as well as training and supporting board members
- Coordination of direct mail campaigns including acquisitions and renewals
- Donor stewardship
- Identification and promotion of other revenue generating strategies
- Assistance with development of agency's marketing materials, as needed
- Member of Fund Development Committee
A Successful Candidate Must Have:
- A proven track record of successful fundraising, including grant writing, direct mail campaigns and other fundraising components related to job responsibilities described
- A strong familiarity with the philanthropic community in N.C. and national resources
- A high degree of self-motivation and independence and an ability to work with others
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices, standards and ethics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A strong interest in improving the health of women and babies in North Carolina
For more information about the North Carolina Healthy Start Foundation: www.NCHealthyStart.org.
Email your resume and cover letter to information@NCHealthyStart.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Back to top
Last updated: April 2013